21 July 2009

quick update


The chocolate love is crazy during this pregnancy! I can't get enough of it right now. I'm sorry, Marshmallow (that's what my son named the baby in my belly). I don't blame you if you grow up revolted by chocolate. And I just ache for the taste of the darkest, most luscious stuff I can get my hands on. I've been making it myself. A simple raw fudge of dates, vanilla, almond butter, coconut oil and cacao powder (that's the pure form of chocolate for the novices). Frozen fudge. Only 1 or 2 pieces and I'm satisfied to blissful ecstacy. My son has been sneaking some too - caught him in the act this afternoon swiping a fingerfull.

Frozen Fudge

1 1/2 cups dates, soaked in fresh water for 1 hour
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp vanilla powder, or 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 1/2 cups raw almond butter (or nut/seed butter of choice)
1 1/2 cups cacao powder (or you can use 3/4 cup carob powder, 3/4 cup cacao powder)

Blend soaked dates with vanilla and coconut oil until it reaches a smooth paste consistency. Transfer to a large bowl and add almond butter. Mix together until well-combined. Slowly add in the cacao powder until well mixed and integrated. Mixture will be quite thick. Pour mixture into a 9x13 in. brownie tray (like a glass Pyrex one) and set in freezer for 2-3 hours until hard. Cut into small squares, keep stored in a container and in the freezer. Keeps for up to 1 week in an airtight container (must remain cold or will start to melt into gooey lusciousness all over your hands which can be sort of sexy).

*************************************

Had a visit with Martha the midwife on Saturday and all is well. Baby is growing beautifully, great heartbeat at 142 bpm, head is down and is engaged finally! My uterus is measuring small lengthwise, but I know that its deep, so there's no concern. Baby is measuring perfect, so all is well! Next visit with her is the homevisit. She comes to me to see the house and get familiar with my space since this is where I'll be giving birth.

I'm still continuing with the morning ritual of green juice and superfood smoothies. We've been feasting on wild berries lately, so I'm feeling extra energy from nature's bounty as well as a big immunity boost. Summer pregnancy is great! I live in the Northeast and its been a really mild summer so far. Thanks Mother Nature! You're oh so kind!

Daily exercise of hiking is being incorporated whenever possible. Also prenatal kundalini yoga with Siri Chand Kaur of Many Moons Yoga has been awsome. Before pregnancy, I was a bit weirded out by Kundalini (mostly because I never studied it and didn't understand it). But I've embraced it, I take her weekly class and then practice the exercises throughout the week. Daily squats, kegels and strengthening exercises have really helped not only my body get stronger, but rid my brain of fears. I feel prepared and strong as a woman and mother. I've learned to focus on my breath to get through the hard parts (i.e. agonizing pain!) and its really working. Thanks to Yogi Bhajan!

My pelvis is beginning to widen and separate a bit. I've been waking up the past few nights with pain and pressure even though I'm sleeping with a body pillow. So I've been using Arnica Oil by Weleda when my muscles get super tight in my lower back and around my ribs. It works like a dream! The hubby just gently rubs it in and its almost instant relief. Speaking of Weleda, I also highly recommend their Pregnancy Oil. I had the start of stretch marks last week around my belly button, rubbed the oil all over and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and the marks were gone - I mean GONE! Now, I rub it on every night in the fashion of making my wishes to the magic genie. I guess its like paying homage to the buddha belly. It feels great, smells great and is deeply relaxing before bed.

Okay, must try to get some zzzzz's.

Take one more look at that fudge...you know you can't resist! Scrumptious, huh? ;)

xoxo

1 comment:

Shannon said...

The fudge brought me tears, Stanzi. Thank you for posting that.

And you're so crazy amazing! Yoga green juices and super oil- inspiring!